Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What C.S. Lewis and I have in common...

In September, after Personal Demons released, I was out to dinner with a group of my medical colleagues and they were asking me about my book. When I explained that half of Personal Demons was told from my demon, Luc's perspective, one of them asked if I'd read C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters.


I'm a huge Narnia fan, but as much as I loved those books, I'd never investigated any farther into C.S. Lewis' writing, so I'd never heard of The Screwtape Letters. I grabbed this book from my library to take on my trip last week and read it on the plane. It's a collection of letters Screwtape, an Underlord of Hell, is writing to his demon nephew, Wormwood, expounding all of his unearthy advice on how to tempt his "patient" down the fiery path. And, where I certainly didn't plagiarize C.S. Lewis, having never read his book, I was surprised by similarities in his demon's train of thought, and my demon's train of thought. I guess I shouldn't have been. After all, they're both demons. But it was interesting to read Screwtape's advice and compare it to Luc's actions.

Even though I'd never profess to put myself in the same creative universe as C.S. Lewis, it's fun to think that we had some of the same ideas :p Have any of you read The Screwtape Letters? What did you think?

11 comments:

  1. I actually had to read Screwtape Letters last year for my Lit class. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's good material, especially when I analyzed what Wormwood and Screwtape were doing to the patient and my own life. It's a VERY interesting book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never have but have always meant to. Love that the perspective is so opposite what we come to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it yet, but I've always wanted to. It's so difficult to catch up with the TBR list. The more I read, the longer it seems to get! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one book I've always wanted to read but haven't gotten to yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hooked me with the title. What a great parallel to discover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend bought it recently so I'll probably have to borrow it from her :) I've been dying to read this for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read Screwtape, but I am loving Personal Demons. (Currently on chapter 17) What an honor to be categorized with C.S. Lewis! Congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how cool. I've been meaning to read this book anyway as it's one of the 3 or 4 of his I haven't read yet. Now I'm looking forward to it even more. ^_^

    I think we have a copy around here somewhere (hubs loves C.S. Lewis as much as I do!)... If not, there's always the library!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i read Screwtape letters a few years ago and about the middle of reading your books the thought of Screwtape letters started flashing in my head. your book is different but shares some likeness in the demon thought process i agree. but over all your book was freakin awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete